What did this experience achieve?
The creation of this Fund seeks to promote actions and projects for SSC by sharing Chile’s experiences in economic and social matters and in the design, implementation and evaluation of public policies, with an aim at producing concrete results in the fight against hunger and poverty, and encourage Chile’s participation in fostering a global partnership for sustainable development.
What evidence is there that the initiative has overcome or transformed the specific needs to which it responds?
- Number of direct beneficiaries from the projects in areas such as:
- Emergency housing: 608 families
- Training for professionals: 152 persons
- Training for local leaders: 100 persons
- Education: 1.184 children
- Socially Adapted Technologies: 460 families
- Vegetable gardens for family consumption: 635 families
What instruments, tools or methodologies have been developed to support or facilitate the transfer/replication of the solution or experience in other countries?
- Open and competitive calls for Chilean NGOs, as well as public institutions: The Fund has developed and perfected a methodology to award funds to the highest-scored proposals on pre-established technical criteria, promoting feasible and efficient projects to ensure the achievement of results.
There are open informative sessions for candidates to help them in the project design stage and to solve any questions regarding the formats.There is a continuous support of UNDP and the Cooperation Agency in the implementation process through monitoring and evaluation activities.
The Fund is financed with resources provided directly by the Chilean State and raised specifically by levying supportive contributions from each plane ticket for international flights. The financial mechanism established by a specific law provides year to year predictable resources and financial stability, which enables the Fund to endure despite a change of government or a financial crisis.
What assessment and or/analysis actions of the current context have been advanced to adapt the experience to other country?
- Visibility of the initiative worldwide to promote it to other countries
- Request of information by other UNDP COs, Un System Agencies and other bilateral cooperation agencies on how the Fund works.
Why this experience or project has potential of replicability in other countries?
This is an innovative mechanism to strengthen international cooperation from middle income countries that have transitioned from net receipts to net contributors for international development. The connection with UNDP serves as a basis for replicating a similar model in other countries of a similar income level.
UNDP CO Chile
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Chile (donor),
Chilean International Cooperation Agency, both part of Steering Committee and the Technical Secretariat.
NGOs, government institutions and the UN System manage the projects directly
- The Chilean Fund has financed 47 projects over 30 countries and has provided humanitarian aid for a total amount of 815,000 USD.
- The Fund strengthens Chilean positioning and visibility as an emerging donor with a very flexible and innovative instrument for SSC that incorporates the participation of NGOs and government institutions and funds are accessed through a public call; Government Institutions have been empowered to develop SSC actions with no negative impact on their fiscal budget assignments.
- Capacity building:
- It has strengthened Chilean NGO’s action and helped to support their internationalization.
- The Chilean Agency for International Cooperation has generated capacities to manage as they integrate the Technical Committee, and has aligned the Fund towards their Cooperation Policy & SDGs.
- Administrative challenges: UNDP’s Rules and regulations sometimes do not favor flexible arrangements to facilitate implementation
- A solid local partner in the beneficiary country is crucial to the success of a project since it gives constant support and assures sustainability after the project finishes.
- The ownership of the project by the national counterpart (AGCI) has helped to provide a strategic vision to further ensure sustainability, aligning the Fund to its Cooperation Policy and Strategy
Official Site UNDP CO Chile: http://www.cl.undp.org/content/chile/es/home/ourwork/southsouthcooperation/overview.html
Official website Chile Fund: www.fondochile.cl